Interestingly, certain people keep bringing up the same points, again and again, in an attempt to demonstrate that men suffer from sexism more than women. Every one of their points, however, only work against their own "anti-feminism" stance. LET'S FIND OUT HOW!"Men are 97% of combat deaths"
- this claim is true, but apparently, but nobody who points it out is willing to mention that the military simply refused to deploy most women to direct combat up until just last year
. The actual reason men are thrust into combat the most is because of obsolete, sexist values left over from a time when women weren't even allowed to train for combat at all. Women did not ask to be left out of the fighting. Men left them out of it. This is, therefore, an example of men getting killed by misogynistic ideals
."Men are the majority of industrial deaths"
- also true, but again, what can possibly make this true, other than these jobs preferring to put women in danger? If they were hiring as many women as men, and putting them to work in the same duties, this wouldn't be a problem. If you believe women are less likely to apply for these jobs, why do you think that is? Because women are weaker than men? Or because women are TOLD they're weaker?"Men aren't taken seriously as rape or abuse victims"
- "men have few abuse shelters" - this is because we culturally view women as weaker. Nobody is surprised when women are victimized, yet they are surprised when a man is. There is no reason for that to be the case, other than a cultural view that men are supposed to be "stronger." That, friend, is misogyny, not misandry."Men are more likely to be convicted than women"
- "men have higher prison sentences"
- by whom? Female judges? Feminist judges? A system created by women? The American judicial system never even saw a female judge until the 1920's, and a century later, we're still running on many of the same policies put in place by that all-male system, with women representing only 33% of judges
, so...how is this an example of oppression against men, by women?
You may also want to read some of my previous posts about race issues in America. Minorities, especially black people, are vastly more likely to be convicted than white people for the same crimes. Racism is contributing much more to the imbalance than sexism."Men are the majority of homicide and unreported rape victims"
- Oh really? Because the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics finds only a .1% difference
. And that women are only 16% of violent offenders overall
. Men are over 80% of violent criminals, while men and women are both victimized by them at almost perectly equal rates."Men are the majority of rape victims"
- yes, someone is seriously making this claim, based on a single article
which claims that this is the case because so many men are sent to prison. Numbers cited by this article, however, do not exceed the rate of sexual assault outside of prison. See the above BJS statistics."Men are forced to pay child support for their rapist's baby
" - this has happened a handful of times, yes. Meanwhile, women are still raped more often and sometimes forced to give birth (denied an abortion) or blamed for their own assault. Nobody has ever said that men are not victimized and treated like shit. The point of feminism is simply to address the reasons why women are still treated even worse, even more often.
This is really the biggest problem with these arguments; they all assume that bad things happening to men is somehow an argument against feminism, even though feminism does not erase what happens to men. It simply acknowledges that there is inequality. It acknowledged that our culture looks down on women in more ways, more harshly. When men and women are treated like shit at the SAME rates, in the same ways, for the same reasons, then we can start calling it "humanism" instead. Unfortunately, that hasn't been achieved yet.